Pages

Tuesday 1 May 2012

The Scott Prize


I've been holding my hopes in a headlock since the announcement of the Scott Prize shortlist back in February. I haven't allowed myself to so much as contemplate winning the prize: no imaginary book launches, no pretend book covers - nothing. Perhaps that is why last night's news was so hard to digest. When I put the telephone down, I wondered if I'd imagined Jen Hamiliton-Emery's voice and it wasn't until several hours later, after the announcement was posted online, that it really began to sink in. I spent the rest of the evening saying asinine things like, 'I'm going to have a book, and there'll be a cover!'

Jen Hamilton-Emery has said the following about this year's prize:
‘Since developing the Scott Prize to promote and support debut short story writers, I have read and selected winners from hundreds of manuscripts. This year my task was made particularly difficult by the astonishing level of skill within our shortlist and I would recommend everyone to spend time discovering those writers. Making selections from the shortlist has been difficult but I have focused on the books which I believe have a depth and maturity of talent that all readers will immediately recognise. Carys Bray and Rob Roensch combine impeccable craft with unforgettable imagery to create stories that are surprising, psychologically resonant, emotionally complex and, above all else, a sheer joy to read. Carys and Rob, on either side of the Atlantic, both demonstrate that the short story is thriving and developing in the 21st century and I look forward to working with the writers and publishing their books later this year.’
Last night I celebrated by eating half a tub of Haagen Dazs and having a bath. Now that the news is beginning to sink in, I think I'm going to have to find a better way to celebrate... 

8 comments:

  1. Can't wait to read it, Carys! Congratulations. This is BIG news!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Carys,
    That's fantastic, well done.
    Look forward to reading it when it's published.
    And thanks for highlighting the books on the Edge Hill longlist.
    Congratulations & all the best,
    Alan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for your good wishes Nik and Alan.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent stuff - huge congratulations to you! I think you should celebrate daily until the book is launched.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Teresa and Oscar. I am very excited!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations Carys! Yay!

    ReplyDelete