Pages

Wednesday 23 December 2009

Dread Letter Day

I've been anxiously awaiting the arrival of the best Christmas book I read as a little girl. Every time the postman comes I hope he will be carrying a padded envelope containing Morris's Disappearing Bag.


The weather probably hasn't helped. This morning Alice, Jo and I spent an hour shovelling snow and ice off our driveway and the pavement in front of the house. This afternoon Sam, Alice and I spent another couple of hours trying to clear our neighbours' driveways. Having made the postman's life so much easier, it seemed only fair that he should deliver Morris's Disappearing Bag, but he didn't.

I did receive something today, though. Something I had been expecting, but not until the New Year: my first short story rejection letter. Having spent 10 years out of education before returning to complete my BA, I know there is wisdom in the triteness of if at first you don't succeed, try, try, try again etc. However, just for this evening, I'm going to say bah humbug and open the box of luxury chocolate biscuits a couple of days early. And maybe if I clear a bit more snow in the morning, the postman might, in appreciation, or perhaps in consolation, deliver my padded envelope of Christmas nostalgia.

No comments:

Post a Comment